Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: Events promoter cleared of child sex charge

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN DJ has been cleared of a charge of inciting a 14-year-old girl to engage in sexual activity.

James Robert Kershaw, aged 37, of Pill Priory, told a jury at Swansea Crown Court he thought he was swapping messages on Facebook with someone older. He had always denied the charge and on Wednesday (Nov 8) the jury cleared him of any wrongdoing.

Robin Rouch, CPS prosecutor,  accused Kershaw of ‘trawling’ the internet in the hope of having sexual conversations with young girls. But Kershaw showed that he organised events for young people as part of his business Top Banana Entertainments.

Kershaw said as part of that business he had to make contact with young people, who might be interested in attending the events.

He denied being told that the girl he later had telephone contact with was only 14 years of age, and also denied saying anything sexual during the telephone calls.

In court, under cross examination, the alleged victim admitted that she had told Kershaw she was 17 years old, and maintained that stance over fifteen phone calls totaling 46 minutes.

The jury cleared his name unanimously and he left the court a free man.

Kershaw was defended in court by barrister Carina Hughes of Angel Chambers, Swansea.

News

Pembrokeshire woman appeals for information after mother’s asbestos death

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE woman whose mother died of mesothelioma is urging anyone with information about asbestos at her father’s workplace to get in touch.

Kathleen Collin’s mother, Joyce Hood, passed away after being diagnosed with mesothelioma – a cancer associated with asbestos exposure.

Mrs Hood was a homemaker and her family believe she was exposed to asbestos when handling the overalls of her late husband, Stanley Hood, which they think were contaminated with asbestos dust and fibre through his work at a Pembroke Power Station. It is believed Mr Hood worked as a contractor on the turbines in the power station and was involved in pipe fitting and the applying or removal of asbestos-based lagging.

Following her mother’s death, Kathleen contacted J M Parsons & Co, a Llanelli-based litigation firm specialising in asbestos-related disease claims, to assist her with an asbestos disease compensation claim.

“I am hoping to speak with anyone who can shine a light on my dad’s employment and how he could have been exposed to asbestos,” she said. “As a ‘jack of all trades’, he would have been known to a large number of workers and other members of staff, which we hope will increase our chances of finding someone who can help.

“Any information provided could be the missing piece of the puzzle we desperately need, so please get in touch if you think you can help.”

Asbestos is the single biggest cause of work-related deaths in the UK, causing thousands of deaths and serious illnesses. The number of asbestos deaths is expected to rise until 2020.

Amanda Jones, practice manager at J M Parsons & Co and the solicitor supporting Kathleen, said: “Stanley worked at the power station for a large part of his career and would have come into contact with asbestos in a variety of ways.

“Anyone who remembers Stanley Hood from their time at Pembroke Power Station, or indeed anyone who worked there in the late 60s or early 70s, should not hesitate to make contact with us.”

Continue Reading

News

Man ‘lucky to be alive’ after lorry crash

Published

on

THE CHAIR of the Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire Liberal Democrats says that he is lucky to be alive after a freak car accident in Burton last week.

Andrew Lye was driving towards the Cleddau Bridge when his car was hit by lorry’s stabiliser which had come loose and was protruding into the road.

The collision, which happened at 2.45pm on Friday (Dec 7), left Mr Lye’s car written off, and he was badly shaken.

Mr Lye was thankfully not injured.

The police are investigating the crash between his Kia Picanto and a DAF LF lorry.

Mr Lye, who is the former Council Leader in the West Wiltshire District Council, told The Herald: “I consider myself to be lucky to get out of the car in one piece.

“I didn’t see the stabiliser bar as the lorry came towards me and the first I knew of the collision was the sound of my car being torn apart and glass and plastic flying over me.

“I am glad that I wear glasses as this protected my eyes.”

The police have been contacted for a comment.

Continue Reading

News

Pembroke: School to be closed tomorrow due to ‘major leak’

Published

on

Closed: Due to a 'major leak' (pic. Martin Cavaney)

A ‘MAJOR LEAK’ has closed Ysgol Harri Tudor / Henry Tudor School in Pembroke this morning (Dec 13).

The electrical system has been affected by the leak and the classrooms are not usable.

The council have said that the school will remain closed on Friday (Dec 14) as well.

A Pembrokeshire County Council spokesperson said: “Ysgol Harri Tudor / Henry Tudor School in Pembroke is closing this morning (Thursday, 13th December) at 10.30 am because of a major leak in one of the buildings. This affected the electrical system and rendered classrooms unusable.

“All staff and pupils are safe and transport arrangements are in place.

“Please monitor Pembrokeshire County Council’s social media pages for information as to whether the school will be open tomorrow (Friday, 14th December). A decision will be taken later today.”

Continue Reading
News21 hours ago

Man ‘lucky to be alive’ after lorry crash

THE CHAIR of the Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire Liberal Democrats says that he is lucky to be alive after a freak...

News21 hours ago

Pembroke: School to be closed tomorrow due to ‘major leak’

A ‘MAJOR LEAK’ has closed Ysgol Harri Tudor / Henry Tudor School in Pembroke this morning (Dec 13). The electrical...

News23 hours ago

Legal advice about former councillor convicted of rape to be released

THE COUNCIL’S legal advice relating to former councillor and convicted rapist Dai Boswell will be released into the public domain....

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Man arrested following alleged stabbing

A 33-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested on suspicion of assault following an incident on Richard John Road in Milford Haven...

News2 days ago

Crabb and Hart pledge support to May

AS Theresa May’s future as Prime Minister has been brought into question, Pembrokeshire’s MPs have publically stated their support for...

News2 days ago

Investigation continues into oil pollution along Cleddau estuary

NATURAL RESOURCES WALES (NRW) is looking into the cause of a pollution incident that has affected several areas along Milford...

News2 days ago

Huge response to PATCH appeal

“WE’RE going to need a bigger van…..” That was the first reaction of Tracy Olin – manager of the County-based...

News3 days ago

St Davids: Man jailed after ‘drunken, bare-chested’ attack

A ST DAVIDS man is in jail today after a jury convicted him of attacking the father of his then...

News4 days ago

Amroth: RNLI rescue three people swept out to sea

THE RNLI rescued three people after they were washed off rocks by huge waves at Telpyn Point near Amroth. At...

News4 days ago

Interviews to take place this week for £91k council job

INTERVIEWS are to be held this week for a controversial senior role within Pembrokeshire County Council, with an advertised salary...

Popular This Week