Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembroke: Wheelchair-bound man jailed for repeatedly attacking woman

Published

on

A WHEELCHAIR-BOUND Pembroke Dock man left a woman with scars and injuries after he attacked her on four different occasions.

Lewis Laville, aged 23, threw heavy objects at the woman, twice striking her on her head causing serious bleeding and permanent scars.

On another occasion he caused her such serious leg injuries that she could not get up off the floor. But Laville ignored her pleas for an ambulance and left her on the floor for an hour.

In the final incident, Laville knocked out a front tooth.

Laville, of Powell Close, admitted four offences of assault causing actual bodily harm and was jailed for 18 months.

In one incident, Laville had begun insulting her and, after a row, through a can of hairspray at her. It struck her head, causing two cuts and scars.

Shortly afterwards he threw a glass ashtray at her, again hitting her on the head. Later, he through a heavy metal horseshoe at her, striking her leg, and finally a glass photo frame, which knocked out one tooth and cut another in half.

The victim had to attend a wedding with a missing tooth, the court heard.

In a victim impact statement the woman said she still had nightmares about Laville.

Laville, who wept throughout the hearing, had previous convictions for assaulting a partner.

Jon Tarrant, the barrister representing the victim, said he had had issues with alcohol but had been taking steps to deal with them.

And there had been fears about his mental stability, but he was also receiving treatment for that.

Mr Tarrant said he was now in a relationship and his partner was pregnant.

Judge Geraint Walters said he noted that Laville had not entered a guilty plea until the day of his trial.

He told Laville: “You subjected her to some very real violence and routinely and systematically abused her, causing not insignificant injuries.

“You were quite sadistic towards her.

“It is true you had your own difficulties as a result of an accident that left you confined to a wheelchair.

“The court has shown you considerable leniency in the past and has bent over backwards to see if you could be helped. But you rewarded that leniency by reoffending and breaching orders.”

Judge Walters issued a 10 year restraining order preventing Laville from contacting the woman after his release from prison.

News

One thousand march to save Withybush Hospital A&E services

Published

on

Over 1,000 people marched in Haverfordwest today (June 16) to show their support for the A&E department at Withybush General Hospital.

The protesters marched from Haverfordwest football club, leaving  at 11.30am and made their way via Bridge Street to Castle Square, and then around to the Riverside Shopping Centre, and back to the field behind the football club where a family fun day had been organised.

There were rumours that there would be inclement weather for the protest, but just on cue, the sun came out as the first walkers left the field for what many were describing as a “now or never” attempt to retain services at Withybush.

Conservative politicians joined the march including local MP’s Simon Hart and Stephen Crabb as well as Paul Davies AM. County Councillors and representatives from the Labour party were also at the protest, amongst others.

Stephen Crabb MP told The Herald that all of the University Health Board’s proposals for Withybush Hospital included a “downgrade”, and that this was not acceptable for the people of Pembrokeshire. In a passionate interview with Herald TV he said that today was the day that “local people fight for the services that they deserve.”

Mr Crabb said that he knew that recruitment of staff was a “challenge across the whole of the UK” but the Health Board need to be told they need to do more for Pembrokeshire.

Just before the protest, the admin of the Save Withybush Group on Facebok posted: “Over 22,000 have joined this group and almost 23,000 have signed the petition so we know there is massive support among the people of Pembrokeshire to save our hospital. Now we just need everyone to turn out this Saturday and show Hywel Dda Health Board that we mean business and that they will not get away with closing our A&E or any of the vital services at Withybush.”

Drivers of vehicles honked their horns as they drove past the protest which was led by musicians from the Saint City Jazz Band from St Davids.

Many people told Herald reporters that they felt that the hospital had been “deliberately undermined” ans that uncertainty created by the Health Board themselves in relation to hospital services was having a negative effect on the recruitment of staff.

This large march and fun day is described by organisers as the first stage in a summer of action to fight for services at Withybush Hospital.

Those who have not already done so are urged to fill in the consultation document published by Hywel Dda University Health Board.

  • Photography by Mike Hillen and Aad Oostermeijer.
  • Additional reporting by Matthew Roberts

 

Continue Reading

News

Pembroke Dock: Dog in black bag found dead in water

Published

on

A SHOCKING image of a dead dog which was found in the water at Pembroke Port, wrapped in a black bag, has been sent to The Herald.

The image was sent to us by a local man who pulled the bag out of the water.

Once on the dry land, he realised that tragically the remains of a dog was inside.

The shocking uncensored image is below.

WARNING: Upsetting imagery follows.

A witness at the scene told the Herald that police were called to the scene following the discovery.

The man who made the discovery told us: “The bag was down floating by the tugs, Pembroke Port, it looked like a tent bag at first.

“We pulled it up and took it on the walkway to cut it open – we didn’t know what it was.

“Once it was opened, we could see there were stones inside, and then as we opened it more it was obvious the dog was inside.

“To be honest, it looked like it had been in there a while.”

The man then told us that as he left the scene, a member of the tugboats called the police.

“It’s not nice, horrible to see, not nice at all. It didn’t look like a young dog but you don’t have any idea really with it in that state,” he added.

The Herald has contacted Dyfed-Powys Police for more information.

Continue Reading

News

Judge halves jail term for man convicted of fraud

Published

on

A FIRST CLASS honours graduate who targeted stores in Haverfordwest for fraud will soon be free after senior judges halved his jail term.

Siphosenkosi Hutton Maplanka was jailed for 12 months at Swansea Crown Court on March 22.

The 31-year-old, of Ger Yr Ysgol, Burry Port, near Llanelli, admitted three counts of fraud.

Maplanka targeted Debenhams and Tesco branches on July 12 last year, Judge David Stockdale QC told London’s Appeal Court today.

His mode of operation was to take clothing from displays and put it in a bag and then seek to exchange it.

He would claim to have bought the items previously from another store in the same group.

Using this method, he got Debenhams to refund him £260 and Tesco to shell out £140.

He came unstuck when he returned to Debenhams on July 23 last year and tried to repeat the scam but was recognised by staff.

Maplanka had been before the courts on 13 previous occasions for 22 offences, including 10 frauds, said the judge.

His barrister, John Tarrant, argued that his jail term was far too harsh and should be reduced.

Maplanka’s crimes were not sophisticated, nor the result of significant planning, claimed the barrister.

While he had ‘similar’ previous convictions, they dated back several years – and he had won a first class honours degree since then.

Judge Stockdale, sitting with two other judges, said Maplanka’s crimes were ‘not in our judgment sophisticated’.

The frauds ‘did not require significant planning’ and the loss to the stores was ‘modest’.

Maplanka’s previous convictions were ‘a significant and potent aggravating factor’, said the judge.

But he added: “In view of the absence of offences in the last five years and, allowing for all we have heard and read in mitigation, we do consider the sentence is manifestly excessive.”

Judge Stockdale reduced Maplanka’s jail term from 12 months to six months.

Continue Reading
News1 day ago

One thousand march to save Withybush Hospital A&E services

Over 1,000 people marched in Haverfordwest today (June 16) to show their support for the A&E department at Withybush General...

News2 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Dog in black bag found dead in water

A SHOCKING image of a dead dog which was found in the water at Pembroke Port, wrapped in a black...

News3 days ago

Judge halves jail term for man convicted of fraud

A FIRST CLASS honours graduate who targeted stores in Haverfordwest for fraud will soon be free after senior judges halved...

News3 days ago

Neyland: Number plate mix up causes confusion

AN UNSUSPECTING driver was recently stopped after it became apparent that their car had the registration plate of a motorbike....

News3 days ago

Fun day organised by Withybush protesters

THE SAVE WITHYBUSH GROUP are hosting a fun day to raise funds as they continue to campaign against the proposed...

News3 days ago

Police warn against vigilantism and ‘taking law into own hands’

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is urging members of the public not to engage in vigilantism following recent incidents in Pembrokeshire. They say...

News4 days ago

Milford Haven: Collision causes Phoenix Bowl roof collapse

THE PORT OF MILFORD HAVEN have said that they have closed Point Street between Coco’s Restaurant and Quadra Motor and...

News4 days ago

Milford Haven: ​Jaw ​dropping discovery

A SHARK being billed as the ‘largest fish to come out of Welsh waters’ was caught off Milford Haven on...

News4 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police investigating vandalism at train station

BRITISH TRANSPORT POLICE are appealing for information after a building at Haverfordwest train station was vandalised. Windows were smashed sometime between...

News4 days ago

Hook: Welsh Water’s project enters final phase

THE FINAL phase of Welsh Water‘s £8.5 million investment in Hook and Johnston is set to begin this summer. The...

Popular This Week