Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembroke Dock: Town Council discusses clerk’s resignation over bullying

Published

on

AT A MEETING of Pembroke Dock Town Council this week, emotions ran high as members tried to persuade the town clerk, who had earlier offered her resignation, to stay on.

Cllr Brian Hall offered a vote of confidence in Sarah Scourfield, which members supported unanimously. But some councillors have been accused of hypocrisy by Deputy Mayor Cllr Gordon Goff, as some of those who have offered their support are the same members who are accused of bullying, the reason for her resignation.

Mrs Scourfield, who has been town clerk for eight years, said that the constant harassment and bullying behaviours and pressure received from certain councillors had “pushed her into making the decision” to quit.

The Herald understands that Mrs Scourfield is the second clerk to resign over alleged bullying, her predecessor, Moira Saunders having resigned for similar reasons.

County Cllr Paul Dowson (Left) attended the meeting and wanted answers

At the October 5 meeting, Pembroke Dock Central county councillor Paul Dowson, who was attending in his capacity as a member of the public asked: “Given that this is the second allegation of bullying within Pembroke Dock Town Council; what processes have been put in place after the first allegation, and why did they fail this time?”

Another member of public who was watching the meeting, Mr. John Lloyd asked: “This is absolutely disgraceful from a body of people that we have voted for; we are losing a principled person; are the councillors concerned resigning on the matter? People that bully other people should be asked to resign; it is not something that should condoned and allowed to continue, and it has happened on a previous occasion

However, was told that none of the alleged bullies had offered their resignation.

Following the public meeting, the matter was further discussed in a private and confidential session lasting 90 minutes.

Councillors at the meeting said they have, “believe it or not”, tried to tackle bullying in the past.

Personnel committee member Cllr Dilys Burrell said it was “looking in to all these things” to “see what we can put in place to stop this happening again”.

News

Saundersfoot: Carer sexually assaulted woman as she slept at home

Published

on

A FILIPINO carer sexually assaulted a Saundersfoot woman as she slept in her own home, a judge heard on Monday (Dec 15).

She woke to find that Fritz Ortega, aged 35, had taken off her trousers and was trying to have sex with her. Ortega, now living in Farnborough, Hampshire, admitted sexual assault and was jailed for 15 months. He denied a charge of rape and his plea was accepted by the prosecution at Swansea Crown Court.
Nicola Powell, prosecuting, said Ortega had developed “a crush” on the woman. She returned from holiday with a gift for his son and Ortega gave her wine and beer as a thank you. He suggested they shared the drinks together, which she agreed to.
Ortega told his wife he was going downstairs to watch a late night film but slipped out to visit his victim.  Miss Powell said Ortega began acting strangely and told her he was falling for her.
After a while she fell asleep on a sofa and woke to find Ortega on top of her with his and her trousers on the floor. Ortega said “God forgive me” but the woman went to his home and told his wife what had happened.
His barrister, John HIpkin, said he had completely misread the situation.
Judge Peter Heywood said it was a distressing experience for the woman.
“Obviously, you had not made it clear to your wife where you were going. This was a serious sexual assault although it was very much out of character as far as you were concerned,” he added.
Judge Heywood said it would be for others to decide whether Ortega should be deported after serving his sentence.
Ortega was ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for the next 10 years and banned from working with children or vulnerable people.
Continue Reading

News

Haverfordwest: MP meets concerned residents over car park safety concerns.

Published

on

STEPHEN CRABB MP recently met with concerned residents of Castle High, Haverfordwest to discuss serious safety concerns.

Following the completion of the new Lidl store, residents of Castle High were concerned that the removal of a crash barrier could prove to be extremely dangerous, due to the sudden drop from the street to the Lidl car park below. The previous crash barrier had stopped numerous cars whose handbrakes had failed from crashing over the edge.

Following meeting the residents and seeing first-hand the problem, the Preseli Pembrokeshire MP said: “I fully understand the concerns of the residents in Castle High following the removal of the crash barrier at the end of their street.

“I’d like to thank them and Cllr Sue Murray for highlighting this issue with me.

“The opening of the new Lidl has had a positive response but this is a very profitable company which has a duty to be a good neighbour. Safety must be a priority for both the residents of Castle High and shoppers in the car park below.

“I have written to the UK chief executive of Lidl asking if there is a sensible solution to this matter, to alleviate the concerns of the residents.”

Town councillor Sue Murray, who is also a resident of Castle High said: “I believe it is neglectful and disrespectful of Lidl not to replace the existing crash barrier (which they removed) that was in place at the end of our cul-de-sac on completion of their new store in Haverfordwest.

“However I do believe Pembrokeshire County Council could have ensured that our road was returned to its former state.  The health and safety risk is considerable.”

Continue Reading

News

A look inside Pembrokeshire’s abandoned bowling and Crystal Maze complex

Published

on

IT WAS only seven years ago that there were teams frantically collecting crystals on a mission to the dome at Pembrokeshire’s Crystal Maze.

But after 15 years of operations the popular indoor attraction at Canaston Bridge was closed.

The Crystal Maze closed down in July 2010, and that was followed at the end of 2011 by the bowling alley itself.

Since then the facility has been left to rot – complete with bowling shoes, arcade machines and other equipment.

However, there are no immediate plans to re-open a once loved indoor Pembrokeshire attraction that has fallen into an alarming state of disrepair.

A generation of Pembrokeshire people remembers the venue as a place for birthday parties and school trips.

In a series of photos taken by a regular photographer of abandoned buildings ‘Zombizza’ who is a regular poster to the derelictplaces.co.uk website we can show you how the Canaston Bowl building looks now. The photos were taken this summer.

Speaking to the press in 2014, Oakwood director Dominic Jones said there were plans for the attraction further down the line: “Canaston Bowl is part of our five year plan which aims to get the theme park back to its former glory.”

He added that he had to focus their priorities on the park.

He said: “We are considering a couple of internal options for Canaston Bowl and we would welcome outside opportunities as well, so if someone wants to present a case to us, we’d be happy to listen.”

Continue Reading
News5 hours ago

Saundersfoot: Carer sexually assaulted woman as she slept at home

A FILIPINO carer sexually assaulted a Saundersfoot woman as she slept in her own home, a judge heard on Monday...

News7 hours ago

Haverfordwest: MP meets concerned residents over car park safety concerns.

STEPHEN CRABB MP recently met with concerned residents of Castle High, Haverfordwest to discuss serious safety concerns. Following the completion...

News2 days ago

A look inside Pembrokeshire’s abandoned bowling and Crystal Maze complex

IT WAS only seven years ago that there were teams frantically collecting crystals on a mission to the dome at...

News3 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Youth, 19, jailed for sex with 14-year-old girl

A PEMBROKE DOCK youth who had underage sex with a 14-year-old girl has been jailed today for 28 months. Jordan...

News3 days ago

Pembroke Dock: One of the longest running benefits fraud cases ever

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has been jailed today for one of the longest running benefits fraud cases a court had ever heard...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Traffic congestion following suspected gas leak

A SUSPECTED gas leak is causing traffic congestion in Milford Haven this afternoon (Dec 15) as work is carried out...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Mayor’s appeal over car damage

THE MAYOR of Milford Haven, Cllr Colin Sharp, has made an appealing this morning (Dec 15) following substantial damage caused...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: MP visits Royal Mail office

STEPHEN CRABB MP visited the Royal Mail Haverfordwest Delivery Office this morning (Dec 15) to see first-hand the impressive operation...

News4 days ago

PCSOs a ‘reassuring presence’ this Christmas

THIS week is the first ‘Those in Blue’ campaign, a celebration of Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and the value...

News4 days ago

Arnolds Hill: Traffic delays following three vehicle crash

A THREE vehicle collision is causing delays on the roads around Arnolds Hill this afternoon (Dec 14). Traffic leaving and...

Popular This Week