Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Police investigating oil spills on IRONMAN Wales cycle route

Published

on

CONCERNS have been raised by locals about oil spills which occurred on roads used by athletes during the cycling section of last weekend’s IRONMAN Wales event.

It is unclear whether the oil spills were a deliberate attempt to harm athletes taking part in the event and now Dyfed-Powys Police are investigating the matter.

The spills, which were found between Saundersfoot and Narberth, were reported to the police and cleaned up by teams working for Pembrokeshire County Council.

A diversion was put in place for cyclists past St Issells Church over safety concerns.

The bike ride, which spanned 112 miles across Pembrokeshire, is the main reason for road closures during the event.

A spokesperson for Dyfed-Powys Police said: “Pembrokeshire Roads Policing Unit is making enquiries to establish the circumstances surrounding these oil spills.

“Anyone with information is asked to report it to PC 1165 Dewaine by calling the non-emergency 101 number.”

News

New Harbourmaster takes the helm at the Port of Milford Haven

Published

on

A FORMER Commanding Officer with the Royal Navy has been appointed the new Harbourmaster at the Port of Milford Haven.

Mike Ryan took up the role of Marine Director/Harbourmaster on August 29 and brings with him extensive experience of delivering operations safely and successfully worldwide, and in complex situations.

In recent years Mike has held senior positions on shore with responsibility for over 600 personnel, covering all aspects of maritime and aviation management. At sea, as a Master Mariner, he was Commanding Officer on board Royal Navy mine hunters and, in a Service career spanning almost 30 years, has served on a wide variety of ships including aircraft carriers.

Commenting on the new role, Mike said: “I am delighted to be joining the Port at this exciting time and am really looking forward to working with the team, and wider stakeholders, to ensure Milford Haven’s continuing status as one of the UK’s most strategically important ports.”

Alec Don, Chief Executive of the Port of Milford Haven, said: “We’re delighted that Mike has joined us. There is so much happening within the Port so it’s a great time for him to take on this esteemed role. Mike has a wealth of experience within the maritime industry and has already fitted in well during the handover period.”

Bill Hirst, the Port’s outgoing Harbourmaster, will retire at the end of October after almost 18 years service.

Continue Reading

News

Milford Haven: Local Muslims raise funds in support of Rohingya refugees

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN business man is collecting donations in aid of the Rohingya Muslims who are currently fleeing from government sponsored violence in Myanmar.

Nearly 400,000 Rohingya refugees have fled to Bangladesh from Myanmar over the past few weeks, with numbers increasing every day.

Most of the Rohingya refugees are women and children, and they are in desperate need of food, shelter, clean water and medical aid. Many people have been injured and are exhausted as they arrive in Bangladesh, The Herald has been told.

Violence in North Rakhine means that families are being forced to flee their homes and walk for days to find safety across the border.

Abdul Kalik who is a partner in the Bombay Mix takeaway in Hakin has already collected so far well over £2,270 in donations from generous donors.  Much of the funds raised have come from local businesses with connections to the Muslim community, including local restraints and takeaways. The money has been raised as part of an effort in conjunction with the mosque in Milford Haven.

Mr Kalik said: “We urgently need your help to support our community response to this crisis. Please donate now to help make sure we can reach every person in need.”

Anyone wishing to donate to help the Rohingya refugees please contact Mr. Kalik on 07811552038. The fund in Bangladesh is being organised by Aklthar Hossen, who is organising the delivery of aid at the crossing point between Myanmar and Bangladesh.

In addition to the funds raised for the purchase of provisions, £210 has been donated by Bombay Mix and staff to facilitate the delivery of the aid to the necessary location on the border, for the lorry and fuel.

Continue Reading

News

Women meet to discuss ‘unfair’ pension changes

Published

on

WOMEN from across Pembrokeshire met to discuss changes to pensions in Haverfordwest on the weekend.

Speakers at the event, organised by Pembrokeshire WASPI, included Joyce Watson MP, Jocelyn Morgan, Dilys Jouvenant and Kay Ann Clarke.

Carolyn Harris, the Labour MP of Swansea East and chairman of the Westminster All Party Parliamentary Group for Pension Inequality, also attended the event.

Many at the event felt that recent changes to the way in which women would receive their pension is unfair – and also claim that the way it was handled means that hundreds of thousands of women will now struggle financially.

The changes have increased the age women can collect a pension from 60 to 65, so that it is in line with men.

However many women feel the changes were implemented with too short a notice for those impacted to prepare for.

County Councillor Tom Tudor also attended the event and said: “I was very pleased to put forward my notice of motion calling on Pembrokeshire County Council to send a letter to the Government minister in Whitehall to support the case to make fair transitional state pension arrangements for all women born on or after the 6th of April 1951 who have unfairly borne the burden of the increase to the state pension age with lack of appropriate notification.

“This issue affects many women in Pembrokeshire in total 3,800 including many women from my ward the Castle Ward.

“I do feel that this situation is grotesquely unfair, when in government if you make changes it is the duty of the government to inform people who will be affected, and in this case it is quite clear that the information exercise the government says it carried out was completely inadequate and ineffective.

” I was disappointed that the Cabinet on Pembrokeshire County Council rejected my NOM, but was very pleased with those on the cabinet who did support it. I was also pleased that Cabinet member Cllr David Lloyd who abstained on voting did in fact come to meet the representatives of the women from Pembrokeshire who have been affected and I am hopefully Cllr Lloyd will go back to cabinet so that they can rethink their position and support this cause before Carolyn Harris MP’s Bill is read on this for the second time in the House of Commons on the 27th April 2018.

” The 1995 State pension Act included plans to increase women’s pension age from 60-65, so that it was the same as men’s. I agree with this equalisation, but I don’t agree with the unfair manner in which the changes have been implemented.”

Continue Reading
News1 day ago

Sandy Haven: Body found in search for missing kayaker [UPDATED]

THE BODY of a missing kayaker has been found after an extensive rescue operation took place last night (Sept 19)....

News2 days ago

Wheelchair bound man assaulted female four times

A WHEELCHAIR bound Pembroke man assaulted a woman four times, a judge heard today (Sept 19). Lewis Laville, aged 23,...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest: Job cuts at First Milk Creamery announced

IT has been announced that ‘around’ 10 jobs are being cut at First Milk’s Haverfordwest Creamery. The announcement this morning...

News2 days ago

Incidents of children self-harming in schools increases sixfold

NEW figures show that self-harming amongst young people in Pembrokeshire schools has increased sixfold, with the youngest child being just...

News4 days ago

Pembroke: Appeal for witnesses after business hit by car

AN APPEAL for witnesses has been launched after a car smashed the front window of FBM estate agents in Main...

News5 days ago

Pembroke: Casualty airlifted from castle in dramatic rescue

A COASTGUARD helicopter has airlifted a male casualty from Pembroke Castle this afternoon (Sept 16) following a large emergency service...

News5 days ago

Increased police patrols locally following London tube bomb

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have said that they are stepping up security in line with other police forces following events in London....

News6 days ago

Police seeking information on four burglaries

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is investigating four burglaries which were reported on Monday (Sept 11). The burglaries occurred at properties in the...

News7 days ago

Llandissilio: Woman dies following crash with lorry

A WOMAN has died following a two vehicle collision in Llandissilio last week (Sept 5). The victim has been named...

News7 days ago

Letterston: Car left on its side following crash

A CAR has ended up on its side this afternoon (Sept 14) on St David’s Rd in Letterston. The incident...

Popular This Week