Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Full schedule planned for Milford Marina Weekend Regatta

Published

on

A PACKED schedule of racing and entertainment is planned for the Milford Marina Weekend Regatta on August 26-27. The two day event is being held at Milford Marina for the first time in 2017.

Competitors can either enter on the day or at a briefing in Pembrokeshire Yacht Club (PYC) from 7pm on Friday, August 25. Throughout the weekend there will be offshore and inshore races in Gentleman’s and BJ classes with both daily and overall prizes available, sponsored by Milford Marina and Milford Waterfront.

Discounts are being offered for berthing fees at just £10 per boat per night at the marina (maximum of three nights) and a free shuttle bus will be provided to and from PYC.

The much-anticipated Commodore’s Dinner will be held at the yacht club on Saturday night, along with live music on both Saturday and Sunday evenings.

The regatta is being organised by Pembrokeshire Cruiser Racing Club and committee member Adrian Reynolds is looking forward to it, saying: “The move to Milford Marina is welcomed as it will make this event accessible to more sailors. The inclusion of a Gentleman’s (no spinnaker) class means the regatta is not just for the die hard racer as any number of crew from two upward can take part regardless of previous racing experience. Club members will be on hand to give advice to anyone who wants to join in the fun”.

Melanie Durney, Marina and Docks Supervisor, said “We’re really pleased that the regatta is being held at Milford Marina this year.  It’s set to be a busy bank holiday weekend and there should be a great buzz with plenty of sailing to watch and take part in.”

For more information on the regatta please contact Adrian Reynolds on 07974 925009 or visit www.pcrc.info

For information on Milford Marina please email enquiries@milfordmarina.com or call 01646 696312.

Continue Reading

News

Community raises funds to save local pub

Published

on

A JOB listing has been posted for a couple to run the Tafarn Sinc pub in Rosebush, after a campaign to buy and run the pub has been successful,

In total, £325,800 was raised to buy the pub by the community to keep it open.

Now a job advert has been posted for a couple to run the pub and live in the accommodation.

The applicants will need experience in the industry and speak Welsh.

Hollywood star Rhys Ifans was part of the campaign to save the pub, after the previous owners for the last 25 years decided to retire.

The couple, Brian and Hafwen Davies, were delighted that the community managed to raise the funds to save the pub.

Continue Reading

News

Former Haverfordwest keeper investigated after racism claims

Published

on

FORMER Haverfordwest County goalkeeper Lee Kendall is being investigated by the FA for racist comments he allegedly made towards Eni Aluko.

The current England Women’s Goalkeeping Coach is the latest person to be caught up in the FA’s racism row after former England Coach Mark Samspon was found to have made a racist remark towards her.

Aluko had been giving evidence at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee hearing, held on Wednesday (Oct 18).

She said that the England women’s goalkeeping coach, Lee Kendall, used to speak to her in a fake Caribbean accent.

Eni Aluko: Claims racist comments were made

Eni Aluko said that Sampson had made a ‘racist joke’ to her about Ebola and her family which was later revealed to be him allegedly telling her to be careful her Nigerian relatives did not bring the virus to Wembley.

The FA has also issued an apology to Aluko for the comments made.

A spokesperson for the FA told the Herald: “The FA can confirm we are investigating England Women goalkeeping coach Lee Kendall following new evidence that came to light on Wednesday alleging unacceptable behaviour towards Eniola Aluko during an England camp.”

Kendall made 136 appearance for Haverfordwest County between 2003-2007.

Continue Reading

News

Pembroke: Wheelchair-bound man jailed for repeatedly attacking woman

Published

on

A WHEELCHAIR-BOUND Pembroke Dock man left a woman with scars and injuries after he attacked her on four different occasions.

Lewis Laville, aged 23, threw heavy objects at the woman, twice striking her on her head causing serious bleeding and permanent scars.

On another occasion he caused her such serious leg injuries that she could not get up off the floor. But Laville ignored her pleas for an ambulance and left her on the floor for an hour.

In the final incident, Laville knocked out a front tooth.

Laville, of Powell Close, admitted four offences of assault causing actual bodily harm and was jailed for 18 months.

In one incident, Laville had begun insulting her and, after a row, through a can of hairspray at her. It struck her head, causing two cuts and scars.

Shortly afterwards he threw a glass ashtray at her, again hitting her on the head. Later, he through a heavy metal horseshoe at her, striking her leg, and finally a glass photo frame, which knocked out one tooth and cut another in half.

The victim had to attend a wedding with a missing tooth, the court heard.

In a victim impact statement the woman said she still had nightmares about Laville.

Laville, who wept throughout the hearing, had previous convictions for assaulting a partner.

Jon Tarrant, the barrister representing the victim, said he had had issues with alcohol but had been taking steps to deal with them.

And there had been fears about his mental stability, but he was also receiving treatment for that.

Mr Tarrant said he was now in a relationship and his partner was pregnant.

Judge Geraint Walters said he noted that Laville had not entered a guilty plea until the day of his trial.

He told Laville: “You subjected her to some very real violence and routinely and systematically abused her, causing not insignificant injuries.

“You were quite sadistic towards her.

“It is true you had your own difficulties as a result of an accident that left you confined to a wheelchair.

“The court has shown you considerable leniency in the past and has bent over backwards to see if you could be helped. But you rewarded that leniency by reoffending and breaching orders.”

Judge Walters issued a 10 year restraining order preventing Laville from contacting the woman after his release from prison.

Continue Reading
News18 hours ago

Pembroke: Wheelchair-bound man jailed for repeatedly attacking woman

A WHEELCHAIR-BOUND Pembroke Dock man left a woman with scars and injuries after he attacked her on four different occasions....

News1 day ago

Pembroke Dock: Pups abandoned in ‘terrible condition’

TWO four-week old puppies were found alone, abandoned and in ‘terrible condition’ near Pembroke Dock train station, prompting an RSPCA...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven: Woman robbed in late night attack

A WOMAN was assaulted and had her belongings stolen in Milford Haven on Tuesday night (Oct 16). At approximately 10pm,...

News2 days ago

Drug warrants across county prove successful

DRUG warrants were executed in Pembrokeshire on Dyfed-Powys Police’s day of action last week. Throughout the day, a number of...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: Freemens Way re-opened following incident

THERE was heavy congestion heading into Haverfordwest this morning (Oct 17) as Freemens Way in Haverfordwest was closed. It was...

News3 days ago

Pembrokeshire recovers from Storm Ophelia

WEATHER across Pembrokeshire is set to be mild today (Oct 17) as the county assesses and cleans up the damage...

News4 days ago

Live weather updates across Pembrokeshire

WINDS of up to 80mph are expected to batter Pembrokeshire and cause ‘significant impact’ as Storm Ophelia hits later today...

News4 days ago

£19m drug gang told jail sentences were ‘not excessive’

THREE members of a 19-strong gang which ran cocaine between north west England and Wales have been told they cannot...

News7 days ago

Mother and son deny murder

A mother and son from Fishguard and Cardigan appeared at Swansea Crown Court this afternoon (Oct 13) to deny murdering...

News1 week ago

Inquest hears about ‘lack of consistency’ in teenager’s care

AN INQUEST into the death of 14-year-old Derek Brundrett has heard there was a ‘lack of consistency’ in his care....

Popular This Week