Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Monkton protesters talk to top brass

Published

on

Protest: Outside Pembroke Dock police station

THIS MORNING (Jul 13) at 9:30am, around one hundred protesters returned to the council offices in Pembroke Dock for a meeting with police and Pembrokeshire County Council spokespersons. On arrival, they were informed that there was not enough space within the building and a handful of protesters would be allowed in.

The group, lead again by Charlie Price, declined this offer, and moved to outside the police station, where they told officers that any meeting would have to take place outside in public for all of the protesters to participate in.

With the protesters assuring the police that the protest would remain peaceful, the group cheered as it was announced that Superintendent Ian John and Kerry Macdermott, Head of Housing and Revenue Services for Pembrokeshire County Council, would be arriving shortly.

Supt. John said: “The two residents of that flat, as it stands, neither of those two people, were actually currently on the sex offender’s register.”

“The facts are, they were not on the sex offender’s register. It would be inappropriate for me to go into specific detail, but what I will say, the lady who moved in with the gentleman who is the tenant of the flat, was not required to record her movements, as she would have been if she was on the sex offenders register.

“She was not placed there. She placed herself there.”

Supt. John then went on to warn about the dangers of so-called sex offender registers which can be found on the internet, which were not official police sources and potentially ‘not current or accurate’.

Mr Macdermott said: “It is no different to having a relationship and your partner moving in. That’s what has appeared to have happened her.

“For whatever reason, the tenant has allowed that person to move in with him.

“I also manage the housing benefits as well, so I can speak with knowledge, there are many cases where a single tenant, and there is another tenant who moves in as a partner, we would not necessarily put them as joint tenants for a whole raft of legal reasons.

“She wasn’t declared as living at the property and the tenancy was not changed.”

The group then described an alleged incident in which they claimed to have ‘ran out’ a paedophile from his home the night before (Jul 12), who drove to the police station and slept in the car park.

Supt John responded by warning against any vigilante actions: “Let me just say, for anyone who commits any criminal offences, we will deal with it. If anybody at all considers taking the law into their own hand, that is the wrong thing to do, you know that.

“We have a good relationship with the people in Monkton. We want to work with everyone and keep everyone safe, but there are laws in this country which protect people.

“It is not up to me or you which punishment or control people have, we have to work together safely, and I’m telling you we will continue to do that.

“It is your duty as citizens to work together with us. By talking about taking the law into your own hands… you are putting yourself at risk.”

He then went on to reassure the group that since Tuesday night, Dyfed-Powys Police had conducted extensive research into the woman’s situation: “The circumstances of the individual we are talking about have been thoroughly looked in the last 24 hours. Prior to that we had some contact with her locally, but what we did not know was the details of that background.”

Mr Macdermott then offered financial support to the group, who earlier in the morning had been talking about raising funds for charity: “If you set up a committee with Pearl on the committee, there are certain funds we can make available to you.  I am prepared to come down and help you, help raise funds, and provide monies for charities.”

Mr Price, and many of the members of the group, saw this as an attempt of ‘paying off’ their cause, and declined: “We appreciate the offer, we are glad to know you are willing to sit down and talk to use. One thing we don’t want is the council to pay us off, so thank you for your offer, but we don’t need your money.”

Annalee: Not happy with the sex offenders register

A local resident, Annalee, then spoke of her experience with the sex offenders register after he daughter was sexually assaulted: “Fifteen years ago my daughter was sexually assaulted by a cousin. He only got put on the sex offenders register for five years, because he admitted doing the crime and was 15. He did his five years, and then went into the army.

“He used a different name – that wasn’t policed. He’s come out of the army, re-offended, and is now back on the sex offenders register for another five years.

“The law needs to change. If the law was how it is in England and Scotland, and there was more of a punishment, perhaps he wouldn’t have come out of the army and re-offended.

“I went to court 18 months ago after he was caught re-offending, it was a court in England, the Judge couldn’t believe why he was only on the register for the severity of the case against my daughter for just five years.”

Following the conclusion of the meeting, Cllr Pearl Llewellyn said: “I am here for Monkton. I support you 100%, but this has to be a peaceful demonstration – you won’t get anywhere with shouting.

“Charlie has excelled himself yesterday and today – he is a good spokesperson, he’s talking from the heart and means every word he says, but you have to know what you’re asking and what you’re talking about.

“I have to take advice from police and the council – I was told by Pembrokeshire County Council not to get involved or to come to these meetings, but I have, because my daughter lived in Monkton.

“Thank you all for coming down and being very patient.”

The event concluded with the announcement that a further protest would be held at County Hall in Haverfordwest tomorrow (Jul 14).

Continue Reading

News

Tenby: Pizza chain submits appeal after application denied

Published

on

DOMINO’S PIZZA has submitted an appeal after their application to open a restaurant in Tenby was declined.

The chain wanted to open a restaurant and takeaway on the South Parade.

However, these plans were declined after concerns were raised by locals within the town, as well as councillors.

It was felt that the location was too close to the war memorial, and locals also worried about littering and illuminated signage.

Now it has been confirmed that the chain has submitted an appeal against the refusal of change of use from a retail outlet (class A1) to a takeaway (class A3).

The appeal hearing will take place in December, at a time and location which is yet to be decided.

Continue Reading

News

Tenby: Shoppers queue early for opening of new store

Published

on

A LARGE queue of people eagerly awaited the opening of a brand new designer shop in Tenby this morning (Sept 22).

Shoppers were up bright and early to queue for the opening of Joules, a designer store which sells clothes, footwear, accessories and more.

The shop opened at 9:30am at its Tudor Square premises.

The first customer was awarded a £200 voucher, the following ten won £100 vouchers, and the ten after that were each awarded £50 vouchers.

The store is also offering 15% off to all customers today.

A Joules spokesperson said: “We’re thrilled to be opening a new Joules story in Tenby. We are really looking forward to bringing our unique personality and style to shoppers over the coming months.”

Continue Reading

News

Monkton: £30,000 benefits fraudster avoids jail sentence

Published

on

A MONKTON woman pretended her marriage ‘to a traveller man’ had lasted only four weeks and went on to swindle almost £30,000 in benefits.

Emma Blackmore was in fact living with husband Wayne in Tenby Court and they even had a child together.

But Blackmore, aged 37, maintained for four years that she was a single woman living alone.

Blackmore, now of Queen Street, Pembroke Dock, admitted six offences of fraud by failing to notify a change in her circumstances.

She was jailed for 12 months, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to complete 20 days of a rehabilitation activity.

Nuhu Gobir, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that Blackmore had made genuine claims for income support and other benefits in early 2012 in her maiden name of Emma Hughes, stating she was single, lived alone and could not work due to ill health.

On June 16, 2012, she married Wayne Blackmore but described him to the Department of Work and Pensions as a ‘traveller man’ and said the marriage was already over.

Blackmore continued to make claims and over a four year period she received £29,569 in benefits she had not been entitled to.

Mr Gobir said an investigation revealed that Wayne Blackmore had made it clear on his Facebook page that he was in a relationship and that the couple had become parents.

And further checks showed that his wages were going into his wife’s bank account and that as far as his employers were concerned he lived at the same address as his wife.

The judge, Mr Recorder Greg Bull, said he noted that Blackmore had maintained that ‘times were hard and money had been a struggle.’

But that was true for many people in Wales, he said.

Blackmore, he added, had defrauded the public purse at a cost to other members of the community but sending her to jail immediately would not achieve anything.

And neither was she in a position to repay any of the money.

Continue Reading
News1 day ago

Tenby: Pizza chain submits appeal after application denied

DOMINO’S PIZZA has submitted an appeal after their application to open a restaurant in Tenby was declined. The chain wanted...

News2 days ago

Monkton: £30,000 benefits fraudster avoids jail sentence

A MONKTON woman pretended her marriage ‘to a traveller man’ had lasted only four weeks and went on to swindle...

News3 days ago

Woman freed from car following crash with lorry

A WOMAN was freed from her car following a crash with a lorry in the early hours of this morning...

News5 days ago

Sandy Haven: Body found in search for missing kayaker [UPDATED]

THE BODY of a missing kayaker has been found after an extensive rescue operation took place last night (Sept 19)....

News5 days ago

Wheelchair bound man assaulted female four times

A WHEELCHAIR bound Pembroke man assaulted a woman four times, a judge heard today (Sept 19). Lewis Laville, aged 23,...

News6 days ago

Haverfordwest: Job cuts at First Milk Creamery announced

IT has been announced that ‘around’ 10 jobs are being cut at First Milk’s Haverfordwest Creamery. The announcement this morning...

News6 days ago

Incidents of children self-harming in schools increases sixfold

NEW figures show that self-harming amongst young people in Pembrokeshire schools has increased sixfold, with the youngest child being just...

News1 week ago

Pembroke: Appeal for witnesses after business hit by car

AN APPEAL for witnesses has been launched after a car smashed the front window of FBM estate agents in Main...

News1 week ago

Pembroke: Casualty airlifted from castle in dramatic rescue

A COASTGUARD helicopter has airlifted a male casualty from Pembroke Castle this afternoon (Sept 16) following a large emergency service...

News1 week ago

Increased police patrols locally following London tube bomb

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have said that they are stepping up security in line with other police forces following events in London....

Popular This Week