Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Consent required but no veto on Brexit

Published

on

THE UK GOVERNMENT has moved to quell at least some of the concerns of devolved administrations by undertaking to consult with them about the planned Repeal Bill which is a cornerstone of the ConDup pact’s policy on Brexit.

However while consent will be sought, if it is not forthcoming there will be no veto on the UK government’s Brexit legislation.

On Monday (Jun 26) , Brexit Secretary David Davis told the House of Commons: “We expect there will be a significant increase in the decision-making power of each devolved administration once we exit the EU.

“That’s why, given that this bill affects the powers of devolved institutions and legislates in devolved areas, we will seek the consent of the devolved legislatures of the bill.”

The Repeal Bill will – amongst other things – write EU Law into UK law enabling Parliament to decide what to keep and what to reject. However, where the Repeal Bill affects areas of governmental responsibility which are devolved, by convention the Westminster Parliament consults with the devolved legislatures. But the UK Government is not bound by the devolved governments’ positions in such circumstances and the latter bodies cannot veto primary legislation from Westminster.

Last week the Constitutional and Legislative Affairs Committee of the Welsh Assembly released a statement that outlined its concerns that some presently devolved matters – for example autonomy on agriculture – could be the subject of a London-based power grab.

Part of the basis for the concerns stem from the UK Government’s approach to the Wales Act 2017; legislation the Committee concluded was over-complicated, bureaucratic and which did not address many points raised by either the Welsh Government or the National Assembly.

The Committee believes the UK Government must address the question of what is the Union for when considering Brexit legislation.

“What makes Wales’ position particularly uncertain is that the introduction of the Great Repeal Bill coincides with a changing devolution settlement that is untried and untested,” said Huw Irranca- Davies AM, Chair of the Constitutional and Legislative Affairs Committee.

“Once the reserved powers model is in force, the boundaries of our legislative competence will no longer be as we previously understood them, and it is difficult to say with confidence what the legislative competence of the National Assembly will be.

“However, based on the UK Government’s approach in relation to the Wales Act 2017, we are concerned that the National Assembly could lose powers to central control as a result of exiting the EU, particularly in policy areas that have been heavily reliant on EU law.

“Overall, the key issue that needs to be addressed by the UK Government is the creation of a legal and constitutional context that serves the devolved nations and UK following exit from the EU. That context needs to be developed in partnership with devolved nations rather than being imposed upon them.”

The Committee submitted its conclusions to both the House of Commons Procedure Committee, and the Assembly’s External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee as part of its inquiry into the Great Repeal Bill.

Responding to the Brexit Secretary’s remarks, a Welsh Government spokesman said: “We hope this means they have been listening and taking seriously our very strongly felt concerns that this legislation must not in any way restrict the powers and competencies of the Assembly.

“As set out in our policy paper, Brexit and Devolution, leaving the EU must be about the future, not the past.

“We must work with England, Scotland and Northern Ireland – through discussion, not diktat – to map our collective future.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Communities First had impossible task

Published

on

THE WELSH Government should ensure councils identify all programmes currently being delivered by Communities First that should be delivered by other public services and that they are transferred across to the relevant public service as soon as possible, according to a National Assembly Committee.

The Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee also found it has been difficult to make an overall assessment of the success of the 15-year, £432m Communities First tackling poverty programme because of insufficient performance management.

Communities First was the Welsh Government’s flagship tackling poverty programme. The Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children Carl Sargeant AM announced that the programme would be wound down in February this year.

The report also highlights that uncertainty for staff caused by the way in which the announcement was made has had a detrimental impact on their work, and affected the people using the services.

The Committee also recommend that the Welsh Government outline how long legacy funding will be available for as soon as possible.

Committee Chair John Griffiths AM said: “For many people, Communities First has had a life-changing impact, and we know it has done great work in communities across Wales.

“We are concerned that the Welsh Government must learn lessons for future tackling poverty activities, ensuring progress is measurable, based on evidence of what works, and that the successful elements of Communities First, which could be delivered by other public bodies and are valued locally, are transferred to other public services to deliver.

“The need for these services hasn’t disappeared, but faced with uncertainty, we have heard that Communities First staff are already leaving for other jobs. Their expertise and relationships cannot easily be replaced.”

A key criticism in the report is that the Welsh Government had no baseline from which to assess success and without such a measure, it was impossible for Communities First’s successes – if any – to be adequately measured as delivering anything like value for the money invested in the scheme.

Evidence from Carmarthenshire County Council not only makes that criticism express, but continues: ‘Measuring the long term impact that the programme had on the individuals was not carried out in the initial years of the programme. As a result, there was limited recording of statistics and outcomes achieved during this period’.

Indeed, the committee states that its own work was hampered by lack of transparency by the Welsh Government. ‘On the day that it was announced the programme would definitely be ending (14 February 2017), all performance measurement data was removed from the Welsh Government’s website’.

The report mordantly notes that: ‘However, we were told in very stark times by a witness that having 102 performance indicators means in practice you have no performance indicators’. It goes on to warn that new indicators put in place by the Welsh Government are so broad as to be almost meaningless and recommends that the Welsh Government adopt the approach recommended by the Bevan Foundation, a social welfare think-tank.

The report notes that the Communities First programme was set the ‘near impossible task’ of reducing poverty, which could never be achieved through one single programme.

In written evidence to the Committee, the Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children, Carl Sargeant said that “….the underlying premise of the programme that it was possible to improve area characteristics by influencing individual-level outcomes – was (and remains) untested.”

In addition to the broad aims of the programme, it remains unclear and un-evidenced as to whether interventions to improve individual circumstances lead to changes in a geographical area’s characteristics. This was accepted by the Cabinet Secretary in his written evidence.

Although it is unclear how well a place based approach works and it remains the approach for some other programmes such as Communities for Work, Flying Start, Lift, and others. The committee recommends review of these programmes ‘to ensure they are working to optimum benefit’.

The Committee expresses concern that Communities First programmes were used to deliver services that statutory bodies should have delivered, noting that Communities First schemes ‘were delivering projects and support in important areas, including health and education’.

As Herald readers in Carmarthenshire will recall, it is almost impossible to conceive that a local authority would misuse funds for a targeted project to subsidise delivery of its own services.

Other recommendations include:

• That the Welsh Government considers removing postcode barriers to families accessing Flying Start where there is an identified need and capacity to support them

• That the Welsh Government ensures that all advice and guidance to local authorities is available in written form to supplement information that is provided in person or orally

• That the Welsh Government That the Welsh Government makes it clear in guidance to local authorities that employability support should encompass all stages of the employment journey, including support to a person once they are in employment

Mark Isherwood, the Conservative spokesperson for Communities, joined in the Committee’s criticism.

“Despite repeated warnings, the Welsh Government has failed to deliver what the Communities First programme originally intended, which was to deliver community ownership and empowerment to drive positive change.

“An article by the Bevan Foundation achieved a far more perspicacious insight into why Communities First achieved such little success, by stating that community buy-in is essential and that if people feel that policies are imposed on them, then policies simply don’t work. The Cabinet Secretary should take note.

“However, it is not too late to do things differently. We can still unlock human capital in our communities and places to develop solutions to local issues, improve wellbeing, raise aspirations and create stronger communities.”

The Bevan Foundation has welcomed the recommendations of the Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee’s report.

In particular, it welcomes the Committee’s inclusion of the Bevan Foundation and Joseph Rowntree Foundation’s proposals to reduce poverty through a whole government strategy for reducing costs and raising incomes, rather than its current focus on employability, early years and empowerment.

The Bevan Foundation also welcome’s the Committee’s adoption of other Bevan Foundation proposals including:

• The recommendation that the Welsh Government work with the Bevan Foundation and Joseph Rowntree Foundation on a dashboard of indicators,

• The recommendation that the Welsh Government explore further the role of assets in generating income and wealth

• The comment that the Welsh Government needs to provide a robust framework for local action

Director of the Bevan Foundation, Victoria Winckler, said: “We were delighted that the Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee has listened carefully to our written and oral evidence and included so many of ideas in its recommendations. The Committee’s inquiries into poverty are vitally important, and we hope that the Welsh Government heed the Committee’s recommendations. We look forward to working with the Welsh Government and the Committee in taking them forward.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Aber academic to advise on Brexit

Published

on

Professor Nicholas Perdikis: Advising on Brexit

A LEADING expert on international trade policy from Aberystwyth University is providing specialist research advice to the National Assembly for Wales on how Brexit is likely to impact the Welsh economy.

Professor Nicholas Perdikis has taken up a five month Academic Fellowship with the National Assembly for Wales Research Service to explore the potential implications of the UK’s departure from the EU on key sectors of the economy.

His appointment is part of a pilot Fellowship scheme that enables senior academics at Welsh universities to spend time at the Assembly Commission working on a project of mutual benefit.

Llywydd of the National Assembly for Wales, Elin Jones AM, said: “I am very pleased that the considerable expertise and experience of Aberystwyth University has joined the fellowship programme. This will help Assembly Members to gain a better understanding of the implications of Brexit for key sectors of the Welsh economy, which will be vitally important so that they can scrutinise the policies of the Welsh and UK Governments.”

From August 2017 until January 2018, Professor Perdikis will divide his time between the National Assembly’s home in Cardiff Bay and Aberystwyth University.

As part of his brief, he will examine how a range of scenarios could impact on trade in Wales, including no deal or trading on World Trade Organisation terms as well as membership of the European Economic Area as a transitional arrangement.

Professor Nicholas Perdikis, who is Professor of International Business and a specialist in International Trade and Trade Policy at Aberystwyth Business School, said: “Nobody yet knows how leaving the EU will affect trade in Wales or the UK as a whole and Brexit remains the focus of political debate and discussion. This fellowship is a fantastic opportunity to work in an advisory capacity to the National Assembly for Wales at a time of significant change to Wales’ international economic environment.”

In addition to his academic research on trade, integration and the European Union’s trade policy, Professor Perdikis has acted as a consultant to international and national organisations.

These include the United Nations Committee on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office and British High Commission in India.

Professor Perdikis is also co-author of a report on the proposed EU-India Free Trade Agreement.

Continue Reading

Politics

Calls to suspend ‘racist’ UKIP member

Published

on

A UKIP Assembly Member has been heavily criticised after a recording of a phone call in which she called a prominent Labour MP ‘a coconut’ was released.

A Labour Assembly Group spokesperson called for Michelle Brown, who represents the North Wales region, to be suspended immediately after the tape was released by her former senior adviser Nigel Williams.

During the course of the conversation, in which she also referred to former Labour MP and current Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum Tristram Hunt as a ‘t**t’, Ms Brown said: “Chuka Umunna is a f***ing coconut.

“He’s got as much understanding of an ordinary black man’s experience as I have.

“He may be black but his mother or his father was British from a very, very influential family.

“He is a coconut – black on the outside, white on the inside, and Barack Obama’s exactly the same.”

Former detective Nigel Williams, who was sacked by Ms Brown in May this year after working for her since her election, told the Daily Post that he had been ‘appalled’ by the recording, which he discovered in his records a year after the conversation took place.

“It’s bad enough coming from anybody, but to come from a newly appointed Assembly Member is absolutely appalling,” he added.

“I’ve seen swearing and I’ve been called all sorts of names myself, but I’ve actually never seen it from somebody in such a position.

“This wasn’t a meltdown. This was just a conversation that Michelle Brown was having, which she thought was OK.”

Labour and Plaid Cymru AMs led criticism of Ms Brown. A spokesperson for the Labour group said: “This is absolutely outrageous language and lays bare the disgusting racism at the heart of UKIP.

“Anything less than immediate suspension would be a clear endorsement of Michelle Brown’s racist slur.”

Plaid leader Leanne Wood said: “This racism reflects poorly on our parliament – the National Assembly for Wales – and that’s why her party should take action on this.”

Speaking to the BBC, Leader of the Welsh Conservatives Andrew RT Davies said: “The language is completely unacceptable and it’s regrettable in the second decade of the 21st Century that that type of language is held by people who hold public appointment.

“From my view, if that person was in the Conservative Party – they would be suspended.

“As I said – it is completely unacceptable language.”

UKIP Chair Paul Oakden said UKIP ‘obviously does not condone the personal views expressed by Michelle Brown’.

“We will conduct an investigation into this matter, the findings of which will be passed through to our National Executive Committee so that they might consider disciplinary action,” he added.

However, Mr Oakden also noted that the party would also be investigating ‘whether a UKIP member and official surreptitiously recorded a private telephone conversation with Michelle Brown and then disseminated it without her consent, more than a year after the event’.

In the meantime, two of UKIP’s remaining five AMs criticised Ms Brown’s language.

Caroline Jones said that ‘inappropriate language is not condoned by myself or anyone else in the party,’ while David Rowlands ‘thought we’d put that racist language behind us as a party’.

Responding, Ms Brown said: “The point I was making is that, because of his considerable wealth and privilege, Chukka Umunna cannot possibly understand the difficulties and issues that the average black person faces in this country any more than I can, and I stand by that assertion.

“I do however accept that the language I used in the private conversation was inappropriate and I apologise to anyone that has been offended by it.”

Continue Reading
News1 day ago

Tenby: Pizza chain submits appeal after application denied

DOMINO’S PIZZA has submitted an appeal after their application to open a restaurant in Tenby was declined. The chain wanted...

News2 days ago

Monkton: £30,000 benefits fraudster avoids jail sentence

A MONKTON woman pretended her marriage ‘to a traveller man’ had lasted only four weeks and went on to swindle...

News3 days ago

Woman freed from car following crash with lorry

A WOMAN was freed from her car following a crash with a lorry in the early hours of this morning...

News5 days ago

Sandy Haven: Body found in search for missing kayaker [UPDATED]

THE BODY of a missing kayaker has been found after an extensive rescue operation took place last night (Sept 19)....

News5 days ago

Wheelchair bound man assaulted female four times

A WHEELCHAIR bound Pembroke man assaulted a woman four times, a judge heard today (Sept 19). Lewis Laville, aged 23,...

News6 days ago

Haverfordwest: Job cuts at First Milk Creamery announced

IT has been announced that ‘around’ 10 jobs are being cut at First Milk’s Haverfordwest Creamery. The announcement this morning...

News6 days ago

Incidents of children self-harming in schools increases sixfold

NEW figures show that self-harming amongst young people in Pembrokeshire schools has increased sixfold, with the youngest child being just...

News1 week ago

Pembroke: Appeal for witnesses after business hit by car

AN APPEAL for witnesses has been launched after a car smashed the front window of FBM estate agents in Main...

News1 week ago

Pembroke: Casualty airlifted from castle in dramatic rescue

A COASTGUARD helicopter has airlifted a male casualty from Pembroke Castle this afternoon (Sept 16) following a large emergency service...

News1 week ago

Increased police patrols locally following London tube bomb

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have said that they are stepping up security in line with other police forces following events in London....

Popular This Week